Tampa, Florida is one of the most expensive regions to live in throughout the entirety of the United States of America. On top of that, it is also one of the most humid regions making it extremely inconvenient for homeowners as their houses are always suffering some kind of weather-related damage. Whether it be from high winds, heavy rain, or even just from the humidity, our roofs go through a lot. With asphalt shingle roofs being the most common roofing material used throughout the Tampa, Florida region, it isn’t hard to understand why we as homeowners have to have our roofs repaired or even replaced so often! Here at SouthShore Roofing & Exteriors, we offer a premium roofing option called metal roofs.
In this article we will be highlighting the pros and cons of both metal and asphalt roofs, we will discuss what different kinds of metal roofs we offer, we will go into detail as to how metal roofs are considered a long-term investment for your home, and we will highlight why you should choose SouthShore Roofing & Exteriors to upgrade your homes roof to a metal roof.
The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly; Metal Roofs Vs. Asphalt Shingle Roofs:
In this section, we will be comparing metal roofs and the more common asphalt shingle roofs to each other, weighing out both the pros and cons of each roofing material to help you better make your choice when deciding which you would like to go with.
1. Metal- Although they are not as common as asphalt roofs, metal roofs are growing exponentially in popularity, and for good reason. Metal roofs beat asphalt roofs in almost every single functionality category. They are much stronger than asphalt roofs are, being able to withstand much more of a beating. They also have a much longer life expectancy than asphalt roofs do. On average a metal roof is expected to last anywhere between 60 years all the way up to and exceeding 90 years, depending on the climate and the type of metal roof you choose. This is one of the, if not the most major advantage metal roofs have over asphalt roofs. The most major downside when choosing to have a metal roof installed is the price tag. Metal roofs tend to run at a much higher cost per square foot than even premium shingles do, as they require more labor on the contractor’s end to lay down and the material cost is significantly more.
2. Asphalt- Asphalt shingle roofs have been and continue to be the top roofing material used throughout the entirety of North America. Asphalt shingles rank just about the middle class in every aspect of their performance meaning that depending on the shingle you choose, they can be very durable, last a significant amount of time, withstand a lot of UV damage, and even properly help to insulate your home. However, they are not as effective at any of these tasks as metal roofs are. One of the biggest benefits when it comes to having an asphalt shingle roof installed is how cost-effective it is. Asphalt shingle roofs are extremely easy to have installed and the materials are cheap, so contractors can afford to charge you much less than if they were to use other materials
These are all important factors to take into consideration when trying to determine whether you would like to invest in a metal roof or stay with your asphalt shingle roof. It is important to note that asphalt shingle roofs are an amazing option and one installed by a reputable contractor such as the ones we have here at SouthShore Roofing & Exteriors can keep your family safe and protected for a long time. However, metal roofs are just a more premium option that we offer to our clients who would like to have a roof they know they will never have to worry about in their lifetime.
What Kinds Of Metal Roofs Are There?
Many people are shocked to learn that just as there are different asphalt shingle types such as three-tab and architectural, there are also different metal roofing tapes. As a general rule of thumb, there will be two different metal roofing tapes we offer here at SouthShore Roofing & Exteriors, and they are as follows:
1. Corrugated- Corrugated metal roofs simply mean that the design of the roof will have a pattern of many symmetrical ridges and valleys running down the roof vertically towards the gutters. This style of roof is popular for people that want to have a unique-looking home. However, corrugated roofs tend to work the least well out of all of our roofing options, though they still outperform asphalt shingle roofs in every category except for the price.
2. Standing Seam- This roofing type consists of many sheets of metal roofing laid one on top of another similar to that of shingles though much less noticeable. This style is more effective than corrugated because all of the rivets in screw holes are hidden underneath the piece of metal that goes over the top of that. This means that there are no possible gaps for water to get into and it also allows for a much tighter hold onto the foundation of the roof making it an excellent choice for Florida’s windy climate. Aesthetically, a standing seam roof has a much more streamlined look to them, making it perfect for someone who would still want a roof that stands out but does not want anything too flashy.
3. Worthouse- this final option is our brand new premium line of metal roofs manufactured and supplied through Worthouse. This manufacturer has produced a revolutionary new type of metal roofing that not only is much easier for us to install but comes in its own unique set of styles and colors. These roofs have a wind resistance upwards of 200 mph, which means that they can stand up to anything Florida’s tropical storms throw at them. They also are extremely damage resistant and have a limited lifetime manufacturer warranty meaning that you can be sure a metal roof installed by SouthShore Roofing & Exteriors and provided by Worthouse will last you a lifetime.
How Are Metal Roofs An Investment?
Many people do not consider this, but metal roofs can be a huge long-term investment. This is because metal roofs as aforementioned in the sections above have a much longer life expectancy than any other roofing material currently on the market to date. This means that you will have to spend much less money having to repair and especially having to replace your roof throughout the lifetime of your home. Further, than that even, Is the value that a metal roof adds to your home. When it comes time to list your home, being able to put down that you have a metal roof that is relatively new will show potential buyers that the home was well-maintained and that they will not have to worry about having their roof repaired or replaced at any time in the distant future. This makes your home a high commodity item in the real estate market. This is why it is well worth considering making the investment and having SouthShore Roofing & Exteriors install your metal roof.
Why Choose SouthShore Roofing & Exteriors?
SouthShore Roofing & Exteriors has quickly become one of the best metal roofing installation contractors throughout the entirety of the greater part of the coastal Florida region. We are very experienced and skilled in installing metal roofs, and we take pride in the work that we produce. What this means for you is that you will never have anything but excellence when it comes to a roof installed through SouthShore Roofing & Exteriors. We also offer financing options for our clients that might not be able to afford the high price tag associated with a metal roof. This option allows our clients to afford a roof that they know will last them for decades to come. The final and most notable reason you should choose SouthShore Roofing & Exteriors is that we offer the highest quality materials in the metal roofing market. Not only are these items high-quality, but we chose them because they are especially good at being able to withstand Florida’s harsh weather conditions.