Owning a home in Tampa, Florida comes with its own set of pros and cons. Though we get to live in one of the most beautiful and desired states in America, we also have to deal with the less than desirable inclement weather conditions. On top of that, maintaining a roof in the Tampa, Florida region is no easy task. Due to the high humidity, aforementioned weather conditions, and potential for tropical storms, it is easy to see how your roof could be under constant duress. In this article, we will be addressing some common signs to look out for, the life expectancy of different roofing materials, when repairing your roof is just not enough, and how SouthShore Roofing & Exteriors can help you be sure that your roof needs to be replaced.
Signs To Look Out For:
Unless you are trained and licensed professional, odds are you will not know what to look for when trying to determine if your roof in Tampa is damaged. Though there are many signs, here are some common ones that you should keep an eye out for if you suspect your roof is damaged.
- Check your gutters- The first and easiest step for any homeowner is checking their gutters. This is because you can get a very good idea of the general condition your gutters are in just from standing along the edge of your house. This means that homeowners who are not comfortable using ladders or have roofs that would be unsafe to go on will still be able to examine the roofing system.
- Search your property- Another simple step that can be taken by a homeowner who is not comfortable getting on their roof is searching their property for signs of damage. If your home was recently in the middle of one of Florida’s tropical storms, it would be a good idea two survey your property and look for any pieces of your roof that may have come down including things like Gutters pieces of shingle, and facia board.
- Water damage- water damage is yet another sure sign that you may have roof damage, and you will not even have to go outside for this one. When surveying your home for water damage, Schanne your ceilings and corners where the ceiling and wall meet. Try to find any dark patches or discoloration as this is a common indicator That there may be water pooling up inside your walls. Another common sign is bubbling paint. This means that water is getting in between your wall and the paint resulting in bubbles.
- Discoloration- looking for discoloration in your roof in Tampa will require you to have to be on your roof so if you do not have the proper safety equipment or you are not comfortable with doing so please refrain from looking for discoloration amongst your shingles. However, if you are able to get onto your roof look for sections of shingle that seem to be lighter than everything else. The shingles are experiencing weathering and are becoming thin and weak. The shingles should be replaced as soon as possible as they are now a high-risk zone on your roof.
- Increased energy bills- Though this does not always indicate damage to your roofing system, an increase in energy bills could mean that your roof is not properly ventilating. If this is the case it may be worth having a professional come and inspect your roof.
Life Expectancy Of Different Roofing Materials:
Though asphalt shingles are the popular choice amongst residents in Tampa, Florida there are two main other roofing materials that we see growing in popularity. All of these materials have their pros and cons and they all have their own expected lifespan. If your roof is near the end of its expected lifespan it would be wise to have it replaced sooner rather than later.
- Asphalt Shingles- Asphalt shingles are the most popular Roofing Choice within the entire United States of America. With that being said they also have the shortest life expectancy out of the three most common roof shingle materials. On average you can expect to get around 10-15 years out of a three-tab asphalt shingle roof, and anywhere between 15-20 years out of an architectural asphalt shingle, based on Florida’s climate.
- Metal Roofing- Metal roofing is becoming an ever-popular choice amongst residents in the Tampa, Florida region. This is because of its extremely long lifespan and durability. The average aluminum roof will last around 50 years, while the average steel metal roof can last upwards of 70 years! This increased lifespan, however, does come with a higher price tag than asphalt shingles do.
- Clay Tiles- Clay tiles are an extremely interesting choice and are sure to make your home stand out from all others on your block. Not only are they aesthetically pleasing, but they come with an impressive lifespan that can range over 80 years! This is all dependent on the climate and how often the homeowner has their maintenance.
When Is A Repair Not Enough?
Determining whether your roof is in need of a replacement, or if it could stand another repair can be tricky. We understand how tempting it may be to just continuously repair your roof. However, if you find yourself having to repair your roof more than once a year or at least once a year for three consecutive years straight, It is a sure sign that you should have your roof replaced. If you continue to repair your roof, you are simply putting a Band-Aid on a large wound; it is only prolonging the inevitable. Homeowners often find it valuable to simply bite the bullet and have their roof replaced as this saves them money in the long run.
How Can You Be Sure Your Roof Needs To Be Replaced?
If you are still unsure whether your roof in Tampa needs to be repaired or replaced, give our team at SouthShore Roofing & Exteriors a call as soon as possible. We will send one of our licensed and skilled roofing contractors to your home for absolutely free and have them give you an in-depth roof inspection. They will then meet with you and discuss the results of their findings. If you have any questions at that point or any point leading up to then, our team will be more than happy to assist you!