There are many reasons why you need to insulate your attic. You might be thinking, “I’m in Florida, what’s the point?” Believe it or not, there is an extremely important reason for having insulation in your attic.
When you live in a state like Florida, the temperature can change day and night dramatically. It is not uncommon to have a major difference between the high and low temperatures during the day.
As roofing experts we want to make sure that our customers know why they should insulate their attic. And believe us, your insulation plays a major role in saving you from stress.
What Is The Purpose Of Attic Insulation?
The purpose of attic insulation is to prevent the movement of heat into or out of your home. You can accomplish this by adding insulation to the existing structure or by building an “attic encapsulation” that completely separates the outside air from the HVAC system inside.
Why Is Attic Insulation So Important?
When the temperature heats up, it is important to keep your attic cool so that you do not damage your roof or air conditioning system. The heat travels through the roofing materials of your home too.
While you are trying to keep your house as cool as possible during the day, heat and humidity can build up in your attic and cause damage to your shingles and roof deck.
If you have a flat roof on your home, the temperature change will be greater. The flat roof provides less insulation than a slanted or gable style of roof. When it comes down to it, insulation is important no matter what your roof looks like. This is true for any state, not just Florida.
To give you an example of how insulation can help, think about when it gets really cold outside at night. If you have a flat roof that isn’t insulated, the heat from your home travels to the top of the roof deck and then escapes into the outside air. As you can imagine, that is not very effective in keeping your home warm.
Adding insulation to your attic will help with the temperature change throughout the day and night. The insulation between the roofing sheets of wood or shingles is important for both energy conservation and moisture removal.
Benefits of Attic Insulation in Tampa Recap:
– Saves Energy – Your energy bills will reflect the fact that your home is cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. Therefore, lower energy bills mean lower costs for you.
– Prevents Heat Transfer – If you have a flat or vented roof style on your home, the attic insulation will prevent heat from transferring through your roof and out of your home.
– Prevents Mildew – Without insulation, the quantity of moisture in your attic is greater. This can lead to an increase in the growth of mildew and mold on your roof deck or inside your home’s walls.
– Keep Your Attic Dryer – The more insulated your attic is, the less likely you are to get roof leaks or water damage to the drywall in your home.
– Keeps Your Roof Lasting Longer – A cooler temperature underneath the shingles means the composition of the material is not breaking down as fast, which keeps your roof lasting longer. Asphalt shingles should last between 15 and 20 years if properly maintained. This can easily be extended if the roof has attic insulation underneath it.
As you can see, insulation is vital to your home’s health. So give SouthShore Roofing & Exteriors a call at (813) 400-3329 or fill out the contact form on our site if you’re ready to have your attic insulated today! We proudly serve homeowners throughout Tampa, FL, and the surrounding areas.