The need for a new roof is becoming more and more common. Unfortunately, many homeowners in Tampa, FL, compare metal roofs vs shingles and goes with one not knowing which one they should choose. This blog post will go over the benefits of both types of roofs to help you make the best decision possible when choosing your next roof!
Metal Roofs Vs Shingles
Asphalt Shingles: Asphalt roofing
is a popular roofing material that comes in various colors and textures to match any home's style while remaining affordable. This long-lasting shingle has a matting or fiberglass core, an asphalt covering, and a ceramic or stone surface.
: Metal roofing
is becoming more popular as an alternative to asphalt shingles because it offers more visual alternatives. You can pick from various forms and colors to make your roof look like wood or slate. Metal roofs come in a variety of materials, including tin, steel, aluminum, and copper.
Despite their differences, both of these roofing materials are excellent investments for your home. Your decision is based on your design preferences, local climate, and durability needs. Before deciding which one to install, weigh the benefits and drawbacks of each.
Benefits and Drawbacks
Each type of roof has its own benefits and drawbacks. You can consider your budget, design preferences and location to help you decide which option is right for you!
- Metal roofs are more durable than asphalt shingles. They will last longer, but they can be expensive to install and maintain. If budget is your top priority, then an asphalt roof replacement might be the better choice for you. However, metal roofs have a lower risk of moisture seeping because of their seamless finish, allowing debris and rain to drain off the roof.
-While metal roofs and asphalt shingles are available in various colors, you can paint metal any color you want! This allows for more design flexibility when choosing your next roof replacement.
- Metal roofs have been shown to reduce energy costs by up to 15% because they reflect sunlight better than asphalt shingles. This can help you save money on your electric bill each month!
- Metal roofs are made from metal that is resistant to fire, wind and hail. So you will have peace of mind knowing that your roof won't be damaged during a natural disaster or strong storm.
Asphalt Shingle Roofs
-Asphalt shingle roofs come in a variety of colors, styles and textures. They are simple to install and maintain. You can choose from a variety of shingle types that include: architectural (long-lasting), laminated (great for high winds) and fiberglass (durable).
- Asphalt roofs tend to be less expensive than metal roofs when you consider the installation costs combined with maintenance throughout the life of your roof.
- Asphalt roofs don't last as long and will need to be replaced every 15 - 30 years, compared to metal roofs that can go up to 50 or even 100 years before needing a replacement! So if you're looking for a budget-friendly option with less maintenance throughout the year, asphalt might be right for you.
-Asphalt roofs are more susceptible to damage from fire, wind, and storms than metal roofs. With the high winds and severe storms in Tampa, a shingle roof may require more maintenance and repair than metal.
When it comes to roofing, a little research can go a long way. There are many different types of roofs with lots of benefits--so take your time and consider them all before making any final decisions! You should call SouthShore Roofing & Exteriors at (813) 400-3329
. Our team would love to help you decide on the right roof.