Florida is no stranger to heavy rainfalls. In fact, the city of Tampa has about 51 inches of annual rain, which is higher than the United States average of 38 inches per year. These moist conditions are the perfect breeding ground for mosquitoes, termites, and other insects. To live in peace, you need to keep your home safe from becoming a breeding ground for insects.
Downspouts and gutters play a vital role in keeping your home safe from these insects. They direct water flow from your roof and divert it away from your home to protect your roof from water pooling. However, if these channels become clogged with leaves and other debris, water begins to back up behind the gutter and lead to all sorts of problems down the line, including damage to your roof and foundation.
What happens if your roof gutters aren't cleaned?
- There can be damage to your foundation
- It can damage or break your gutters
- The leaks from clogged gutters can cause damage to the walls and ceilings
- Infestation with insects
- Your basement could flood
This is why it is necessary to clean your gutters whenever you see any problem. By doing so, you can keep your home safe from water damage and can extend the life of your roof. However, a few precautions are necessary to ensure that you are doing your job correctly.
- Work Smart - Use the Right Tools
At a minimum, you will need:
- A quality ladder to clean gutters
- Bucket to transport leaves and debris
- A hand shovel to clean up fallen leaves in your yard
- Safety eyewear to protect yourself from falling debris
- And a durable pair of gloves to protect your hands from sharp branches and debris
- Ladder Safety 101
Use a sturdy ladder when you're working on an elevated area. A good ladder should be large enough to accommodate your weight and the surface you're working on. It should also have a wide enough foot base to prevent toppling over. It's best if you secure the ladder at both positions with wooden wedges or other anchor equipment that way, in case of an emergency, another person can quickly assist you.
- Hire Professionals from SouthShore Roofing & Exteriors
If you're unsure about doing the job yourself, it is best to hire a professional service. Gutters are pretty simple to clean, but if you want to avoid clogs and precise work without any damage, call professionals at SouthShore Roofing & Exteriors and enjoy the peace of mind that comes with knowing your gutters are thoroughly cleared. Your property will be protected from all sorts of possible water damage.
Moreover, a well-maintained roof gutter system can be a factor in preventing:
- Water damage to shingles, brickwork, fascia, and soffits, as well as rot, degradation, or mold.
- Moisture in windows that wreak havoc on the structure.
- Water pooling along the foundation causes erosion and floods in the basement and insect breeding grounds.
So what's stopping you? Call SouthShore Roofing & Exteriors today and give your home the roof gutters it deserves.
Call us at (813) 400-3329 or fill up our contact form for more information.